Skip to content


Dear Member
For the attention of members who are SSSC Registered:


If you are reported to the SSSC by your employer, we provide a solicitor to represent you. SSSC send a solicitor, which is why we ensure you receive the best possible representation.  If a Union is asking you to join them and you work in care, ask what support they provide if you are referred to the SSSC.  Only 16% of women are represented at hearings where you will face a solicitor.

We have seen some cases that have been investigated by the employer, with no case to answer, then hearings being held years later at the SSSC.  It’s absolutely vital that you are protected, as hearings have the power to have you struck off, meaning you would not be able to continue in your career or be a carer any longer.

GMB in Dundee City council asked the council to pay for SSSC fees, as workers in construction and waste all have their licenses and registrations paid for them. GMB raised this issue with DCC in 2018, but due to lack of management engagement, we were unable to pursue this. We believe that Dundee City Council are continuing to discriminate against a predominantly low paid female workforce by failing to pay for these and we will campaign for this to change.  We know that men work in these services too, and you too fall under this umbrella.

Please get in touch by email or call 01382 225491 if you would like to become more active in the union.

Posted: 4th February 2020

Twitter Share