GMB is campaigning to ensure your health and safety and mental well-being is a priority.
It is Mental Health Awareness week and we would like to sincerely thank all of you who took part in our mental health and well-being survey which achieved an incredible response. The fact that thousands of you took part in the survey shows the levels of anxiety you are facing.
The shocking results show that many of you feel that the support you need to do your essential work in caring for vulnerable children and those of other key workers is sadly lacking. We don’t believe it is good enough and will be demanding more.
We will be sharing our results with your employers and will work with them to ensure the support that you need is put in place and make sure they signpost you towards the access of that support.We understand that the most recent announcements will be causing you great concern, and we are working to ensure that every workplace will be safe for you.
Please encourage your colleagues to join us by sharing this link: https://www.gmb.org.uk/join-gmb
- Only 24% of you believe there is enough support in place to help cope with your mental health during this crisis
- 33% of you have no access to mental health support in your workplace
- 55% of you don’t feel you would be allowed to leave work to access urgent mental health support
- 71% of you feel that the current crisis is having a negative impact on your mental health
- 70% of you are worried about bringing Coronavirus home from work
- 43% of you are worried about passing coronavirus onto a vulnerable child
- 42% of you feel a phased return after summer would be best
- 32% of you feel it will not be safe to return until a vaccine is available
We will be sharing more information in the coming weeks so please make sure your mobile and email information is up to date with us and check that your colleagues have received this communication.
Thanks to all of you who have indicated that you are willing to get more involved in your Union. We will be in touch with you very soon.
A personal thank you from all of us at the GMB Scotland Schools Team.
Posted: 25th May 2020