Thursday 5th March 2020
Dear GMB Member
Today is the Dundee City Council Budget setting meeting.
Your Union is sending a deputation to the council meeting to highlight what this proposed budget means for you our members, and our community.
We object strongly to the proposed cuts which include:
- Cuts to school crossing patrol putting kids lives at risk
- Cuts to cleaning at a time of a potential pandemic
- Cuts to waste which will mean jobs going and Dundee looking dirty
- Cuts to flowers and hanging baskets
- Cuts to bowling greens affecting our apprentices and older people
- Cuts to school support staff affecting our members and our kids education
- Cuts to the social care budget affecting our already very stretched members and our most vulnerable
- Cuts to Leisure and Culture affecting you and our arts and leisure
- Increases in burial costs affecting you, and our most in need
- Increases in council tax when wages are not keeping up with the cost
You all do a wonderful job, and we appreciate every single one of you. We would like to invite you to attend the budget setting meeting today at the Central Baptist Church, Ward Road at 2.30.
We appreciate that many of you will be delivering vital services and may not be able to make it, but if you can, or if you can send along friends and family to let Dundee City Council know that we have had enough of austerity. We have had enough of our members, and our most in need being at the sharp end of the cuts, and we want and need investment. Let your elected councillors know that they can, and should go back to the Scottish Government to demand more funding to end these cuts. Dundee deserves better.
They want to cut staff in every service. No one is immune from these cuts, apart from of course David Martin, Chief Executive of Dundee City Council, who is the architect of this continuing onslaught.
GMB Scotland Organiser
Join GMB Scotland online
You can click here to join GMB Scotland online and leave the rest to GMB.
Full time – Grade 1 = £14.14 per month
Part time – Grade 2 = £8.18 per month, GMB members working part-time for 20 hours or less and GMB members under 18 years. If you work in a school please check the current GMB rate with GMB Scotland 0141 332 8641.
Sick and unemployed members = 5p per week.
Retired life members = If a GMB member retires on or after 1 July 2015, they can apply for free retired life membership within three months of no longer paying contributions in line with rules 45 or 46. To qualify, they have to be permanently retired from paid work, be members for at least 5 years and apply in writing to become retired life members of the union.
Apprentices = £2 per month
Non-working Students = £1 per month, Students who are in employment will continue to pay the rate applicable to their employment and hours of work.
Update Your Details
Moved home? Got Married? Changed your Job? If your details have changed tell GMB by updating your personal profile now.
For convenience click on the link below to update your details online today:
Posted: 5th March 2020